Salesforce Marketing Cloud integration
On this page
The Dynamic Content Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFMC) integration makes it easier for you to re-use content between your website and your emails. Once set up, the integration will create HTML content blocks in SFMC Content Builder when content items of your specified content types are published in Dynamic Content.
The Dynamic Content Salesforce Marketing Cloud integration is in beta and available for customers to evaluate. If you would like to try it out, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
On this page we'll provide an overview of the integration and include an example of its use. The information that you need to provide to Amplience in order to configure a SFMC integration is detailed on the SFMC setup page.
SFMC Integration Overview
The basic flow of the integration is shown below.
- A content item is published from the Dynamic Content production view
- A webhook event (Snapshot-published) is generated. The webhook service will notify the integration and send it a "payload" containing information about the content item
- If the content item that has been published was created from one of the content types that you support then it will continue to process the item.
- The integration will request HTML for the content item from the content rendering service. The handlebars template specified when the integration was configured is used to generate the HTML for the content item. An example handlebars template is shown on the SFMC setup page.
- A content block will be created in SFMC with the name of the content item and the customer key set to the content item ID. The content will be set to the HTML returned from the Content Rendering Service.
- Content blocks are created in the folder that you specify when the integration is configured. This helps to keep your content organized in SFMC and to identify content created from Dynamic Content content items.
- If a content block with the same name already exists in the folder, then the content item's creation date and time will be added to the name to ensure that it is unique.
- The content block is now available in the SFMC Content Builder to add to emails.
SFMC integration example
Here's an example of the SFMC integration in action.
In Dynamic Content we've created a banner promoting our summer collection and we want to use this content in an email campaign.
Once the integration is setup, all the user needs to do is publish a content item and the corresponding content block will be created in SFMC. So, in this example we'll publish the "Our summer collection email" banner.
The item is now published and the content block will be created in SFMC.
In Content Builder a content block has been created with the name of the content item and the customer key set to the content item ID. The content block has been created in the "Amplience Docs Assets" folder, which is the folder set up when we configured the integration.
We now want to create an email to promote the summer campaign. Once the email is created, we can add the summer collection content block to it.
Here's the content block added to the email. You can use the handlebars template that generates the HTML for this content item to format the content block the way you want, reducing the need for editing the HTML and styling.
Finding the corresponding content item for a content block
The customer key for a content block created by the integration is the same as the content id of the content item from which it was created. You can copy the customer key and use this to search for the corresponding content item in Dynamic Content.
In this example the "Our summer collection email" content item is found in Dynamic Content.